martes, diciembre 08, 2009

No Doctor's Today, Thank You

They tell me that euphoria is the feeling of feeling wonderful,
well, today I feel euphorian,
Today I have the agility of a Greek god and the appetite of a
Victorian.
Yes, today I may even go forth without my galoshes,
Today I am a swashbuckler, would anybody like me to buckle
any swashes?
This is my euphorian day,
I will ring welkins and before anybody answers I will run away.
I will tame me a caribou
And bedeck it with marabou.
I will pen me my memoirs.
Ah youth, youth! What euphorian days them was!
I wasn't much of a hand for the boudoirs,
I was generally to be found where the food was.
Does anybody want any flotsam?
I've gotsam.
Does anybody want any jetsam?
I can getsam.
I can play chopsticks on the Wurlitzer,
I can speak Portuguese like a Berlitzer.
I can don or doff my shoes without tying or untying the laces because
I am wearing moccasins,
And I practically know the difference between serums and antitoccasins.
Kind people, don't think me purse-proud, don't set me down as
vainglorious,
I'm just a little euphorious.

The poem:
This poem is divided into five quatrains and a finishing couplet, even though the length of the lines varies sustantially from one to another. The rhyme is (aabb ccdd efef ghgh iijj kk), which shows that, except the third and fourth stanzas, the other ones could be divided into coupletsas well so, why quatrains? Because Nash only changes the topic every four lines: In the first stanza he stated his main idea and explained his reasons; the second stanza tell us about the things he wanted to do; the third stanza is a memento of his youth days; the fourth stanza is showing his energy by asking the reader; the fifth stanza explains what he felt he was able to do with that energy; and the finishing couplet is a recordatory of the main idea, very much like a conclusion.

No hay comentarios: